Chief Directorate: National Language Service
Chief Director : Dr Mbulelo Jokweni
To develop, promote and protect all official languages through policy formulation and implementation.
- To provide translation and editing service to government departments.
- Promotion and protection of language profession.
- Facilitation of the establishment of language units in government departments.
- To provide skills development in the language profession.
- Facilitation of development of Provincial Language Policies.
- Literature Development in compliance with the National Language Framework.
- To develop specialized terminologies in official languages.
- Establishment of National Centre for Human Language Technologies.
- Facilitation of production of Human Language Technologies
Director: Ms Hatu Machaba
To coordinate terminology development in all the official languages in the technical domains.
- To develop, document and coordinate terminology in all the official languages in the technical domains
- Translation-oriented terminography - harvesting and recording terminology generated by the National Language Service's
translators when translating official documents
- To develop and manage the national term bank
- To develop and manage the national terminology register